November 19, 2012

Frenziedly Reflections


I was driving to work the other day and for whatever reason a very specific memory popped into my head. I was at my best friend’s childhood home sitting on her old bed, surrounded by boxes of her stuff. We had graduated college by now and she had ended things with her long time, live in boyfriend. At the time, I was working at a local ice cream shop, because I couldn’t find a “real” job...with my 4 year degree. So, obviously I took her some of the best ice cream in the midwest to attempt to cheer her up (Seriously, if you are ever in the Quad Cities find a Whitey’s ice cream and order ANYTHING.) I don’t know if the ice cream and company helped, but it definitely didn’t hurt.



On reflection of this memory, I just thought “Wow.” We both were at very strange, awkward and disappointing time in our lives. In those moments there is no way that we could have imagined what our lives would become. I can’t speak for her, but at the time I just thought my life was...I don’t know. Not going anywhere. I’d spent my entire life in school and had nothing to show for it. That’s how I felt anyway. And, I assume, at the time she also felt sad and disappointed for spending so much time on a relationship that didn’t work out. I feel like this is a safe assumption as she is my bestie after all AND that’s how I often feel after a relationship ends.



Things have changed. She’s happily married now and she has a job she enjoys (which she didn’t at the time). She owns a home with her hubby, she’s healthy and looks great. From my view she’s happy and has a great life. I have a “real” job now (though I don’t love it, pays the bills!) and am in a great relationship. We live together and are planning a future together. See, at the time we were still kids, still figuring it out, still in over our heads. Now, well I’m still figuring shit out, but as an adult. More life experience or something. And on the occasion that I do get in over my head, I realize that I have amazing people like Tegan and Brian and my family and friends, to help me get back on top.


I realize this post is very much a stream-of-consciousness sort of thing. I apologize if it’s confusing. I don’t really have any point to this train of thought. Maybe I do...friendship is important. Real friendship is, anyway. Nurture the bonds with those you care about.


xo, kassie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...