March 16, 2012

Recipe: Baked Breaded Peppers

So, a few weeks ago we went out to eat and had this breaded green peppers....and they were SO AMAZING! Now, I only just started eating peppers within the last 6 months or so, but I’ll try just about anything if it’s fried. Of course...fried = unhealthy. Plus, I don’t usually do any frying at home, it makes me nervous...all that oil, I’m afraid I’ll catch my house on fire! I decided that I should try to bread and bake them like I do with fish and chicken. They turned out really yummy, however the fried ones from the restaurant were crispy and these ones were softer. I searched the internet high and low for a recipe or anything to get tips on how to keep the cripsy, but no luck. Regardless, these are still fantastic and a great side for grill night!! :)

Bake Breaded Peppers


You Need:
Green peppers {2 large peppers made about 3 servings}
Butter, melted
Seasoned and/or Wheat Breadcrumbs
Cooking Spray
Foil

You Do:
1. Slice the peppers. You can slice them however you want, but I left the pepper whole and just sliced it...like a cross section. If you take out the seeds first, your pepper will collapse on you. So, the second pepper I sliced it first and then cleaned out the innards, which worked much better!

2. Melt some butter - I think I used 2-3 tablespoons. And mix up the breadcrumbs in a dish or bowl. I used regular seasoned and wheat bread crumbs. You could also probably use some panko...that might actually make a thicker crust if you wanted it.

3. Cover a baking sheet in foil and spray it down with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350.

4. Take a pepper slice, dip it in the butter covering it completely. Then, coat it in the bread crumbs. Lay the slice on the covered baking sheet. Repeat this until all peppers are coated.

5. Cook the peppers. I think I cooked mine for 7-10 minutes on each side. Which probably accounts for their lack of crisp. I think I may put the oven hotter next time and just cook for 5 min, then flip and cook for another 5. Basically, just cook them until the breading is golden brown!

Enjoy! Be sure to let me know if you try this!! :) 

Also...still have an ad giveaway over at Eternal Optimist's blog!!  Ad will be 150x150 AND if you don't have a button I'll make one for you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...