Today I'm going to share a recipe with you, but it's not just any recipe - it's a family recipe! I have been compiling recipes to make a Family Cookbook and I decided to make a couple of them and get some yummy photos for the book. As far as I know this isn't some *secret* recipe (it appears pretty standard, but is fantastic), so I figure I'd share it with you.
Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
For the filling...
3 cups of rhubarb (I used frozen, but def use fresh if you have it!)
16 oz. frozen strawberries, thawed
2 Tbsp. of lemon juice
1 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of corn starch
For the cake...
3 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp. of baking powder
1 tsp. of baking soda
1 cup of butter
1 cup of buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
For crumb mix
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of flour
1/4 cup of butter
1. Preheat oven to 350F & grease a 9x13 pan.
2. Cook the fruit in a pot, covered for 5 min. Then add lemon juice.
3. In a separate bowl mix sugar and cornstarch together. Add to fruit mixture.
4. Cook 3-5 minutes more until sauce is thick, let it cool.
5. Start the cake batter, mix all the dry ingredients together then cut in the butter.
6. Beat the milk, eggs and vanilla together. Add to the dry mixture, stir to moisten.
7. Spread 1/2 of batter into the pan and then spread cooled filling over batter. Spoon the remaining batter in small mounds over the filling.
8. Combine crumb mixture until fine and sprinkle on top.
9. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
....and enjoy with a hot cup of coffee (or something else if you don't like coffee, ha)!